Sunday, January 29, 2012

May I have some of your time?

I think it is a lot of effort to make time for something (or sadly, someone) if you don't necessarily think they are high up on the totem pole of priorities. I say that knowing I am probably on the bottom of someone else's list. However, when you really want to make something work - you will. You will shuffle around your schedule, like colorful tetris blocks on your calendar of choice, and make it work. I know I try to.

A part of me wants to make time for everything and everyone. I know, now, that it is simply impossible. I can't say that I don't care when someone doesn't invite me to something, but realistically, I haven't invested the time to make that relationship into where he or she would invite me to that thing. Even at home, I'm never there. Right before my one housemate left for Taiwan, I organized a house dinner for all of us to sit down together for the first time. We moved in together in August - this dinner was in December.

There are some people who, I swear, ask me how I am doing so that they can talk about how they are doing. It gets old... I worry that one day I will walk away in mid-sentence. A conversation takes QUESTIONS and listening to what the other person is saying. Plus, it gets a little trickier, because to make the other person feel connected to you - you have to be interested and engaged (with appropriate responses). So if you ask me how my day was and I tell you that it was good, I studied and blah blah blah - it would be nice to hear something else besides, "Oh man, I studied so much, I don't know if you can tell if I'm just out of it or not..." You aren't listening. If you want some of my time, you need to invest some of yours.

Anyway, after a delicious dinner of butternut squash lasagna, I went to the gym with Ryan. I was rowing next to Michael, of Dartmouth Aires fame! Ken pointed him out, I had no idea.

fyi: http://dartmouthaires.com/

No comments: