Saturday, January 21, 2012

Medical school in a small town

Once in awhile, I wonder why I am here.

Last weekend I went to Houston and visited my brother. We cooked every day and had a different Belgian beer every night. It was so great to watch TV or go on drives with the top down while we talked about our lives, hopes, and aspirations. How cheesy, but it was nice to catch up because it really has been too long. Thursday night, I got in late so we went to the supermarket to buy snacks and Gulden Draak and Delirium Tremens Belgian beers. Friday night after the gym and dinner, we went to Spec's, probably the largest liquor store in the continental US. There were cheap $10 wines up to $5000 bottles of Remy Martin (with a diamond included). We picked up La Trappe Belgian beer and a handle of Jameson. Saturday, we studied before going the Water Wall and the Galleria. We walked around Discovery Green and Minute Maid park disappointingly because there were no areas to people watch. Next time, we'll have to go to the Montrose area. We went to Rudy's BBQ where we got the lean brisket (shoulda gotten the moist) and prime rib with cole slaw and beer. (BTW I started eating meat over Thanksgiving because I thought I was becoming anemic - and haven't switched over again...) We watched the last four minutes of the 49ers and Saints game - SO GOOD. At his place, we watched Boardwalk Empire which is slow but addicting at the same time. Sunday, we went to the gym and grilled pork ribs with asparagus by the pool. It was so good! We had La Trappe, which was great. I think I am a fan of the dark beers. In order of preference, Gulden Draak = La Trappe > Delirium Tremens.

We watched TV and youtube videos - especially Coldplay's Paradise, which prompted us to look through my African pictures. The most fabulous part, besides seeing my brother, was the weather. It was over 60 everyday. I was amazed that in New Hampshire and the mid-Atlantic, it was 20-40 F. Sigh. Coming back was hard, especially since my US Airways flight was delayed 30 minutes which resulted in me missing the last bus to Dartmouth. Miraculously, my housemate Zach offers to drive from Hanover to pick me up in Boston to go back to Hanover.

Thus, I am reminded why I am here. The people make a place, and I am thrilled by every person I have met so far.

Last night after going to the gym and going over the HAE review, Quynh, Bijan, Dan, Kristie and I went to Jesse's for dinner. "I don't have a table for 5 under that person, but I have a Chu." hahah Bless you. Quynh and I shared the New England chicken sandwich (chicken, apples, cheese, spinach and bacon - easily recreated methinks, and superbly delicious) and French onion soup! The conversation was hilarious; I realized how well our anatomy group from last year meshed even though we don't see each other that often. I came home to enjoy conversation with Zach, and later, a glass of wine while watching Gossip Girl. I am so content and believe in my fortune cookie fortune wholeheartedly: You are exactly where you are meant to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like your writing. Good luck.