Wednesday, May 5, 2010

knowing your audience

The world and people who inhabit it can only be defined on a gradient.

Categories help us simplify, but despite our best efforts, our systems are flawed. This is true even with something as simple as color: there is blue and there is green, but what about turquoise? Is it a bluish green or a greenish blue? I mention this because we are not all the equal. We should always remember who we are talking to when we are conversing. There are people more fortunate than us and less fortunate than us. Maybe the same person is better than you at tennis and baking but worse than you in speaking a foreign language... I digress. I don't want to complain about what happened but just keep in mind who you are talking to. You might not think it is a big deal, but you can be insulting to your audience.

Anyway, at dinner, my cousin and I went to Kun Jip on W. 32nd Street between 5th and 6th Avenues. The line was out the door and when we asked the hostess how long it would take, she said she didn't know. She took our orders 15 minutes later and then an elderly lady ushered us into the back to form another line. We waited about 25 minutes total and I was ravenous. I ordered the seafood bi bim bop, but it was too hot and the flavors didn't really go well. The side dishes though, were amazing. The carrots in this red sauce were savory and the broccoli added a great crunch to get my appetite going. It was 9:30 by the time I got home and I went to the gym before it closed. I caught the end of Glee and started watching Chopped on the food network. I thought Christian deserved to win, and was glad when he did.

No comments: