Thursday, May 13, 2010

picking your fights

Today, as I was preparing to purify RNA for a microarray, my coworker asked if I was using the refrigerated centrifuge. I said yes and that it would take approximately two hours, and I asked if that was ok. She is fresh off the boat from Chiner and is a bit blunt (which is an understatement). She laughed and said, "Not really." So, I said, "You can use it, and just let me know when you're done."

Why? The samples are important but they're not time sensitive. The fight that could have ensued was just not worth it to me. I remember last December/January when I was just waitlisted at my number 1 school, I was a bit more quiet. I was a bit more sassy. I didn't really tell anyone but a handful of people, I just let it simmer within myself. My coworker and I had the SAME CONVERSATION as today's, but instead of saying, "Not really." she said, "Ok, fine." In actuality, she didn't think it was fine and while I was starting to process those multi-million dollar samples funded by NASA, she hijacked the centrifuge and said that two hours would be too long and that she needed to begin. She said she didn't understand why I was not my usual happy self, and instead of talking it out - we were both passive aggressive. We had a huge fight and her constant repetition was absurd. Even before that fight, I used to disagree with her and made it clear where I stood. Now, I just let her be. And I just am. Have you ever gotten mad at someone who wasn't as cheerful as usual? You just think, "Wow, that person is a total jerk." But what if something else was going on? What if it was something that just didn't have anything to do with you? Whenever we are having a bad day, we are justified in feeling not our usual selves. However, we never think about the other person who might be having a similar bad day. We're pretty egocentric in that way, but whenever something is off with someone you know, just take a step back. Give him or her space: he or she will bounce back. 

Anyway, you know what I thought was really awesome? Phi and I went to visit Brittany (what was only supposed to be a visit lasted THREE HOURS, I love having friends like that.. where time flies by when you spend time with them), and we chanced upon an abandoned fan. We both wanted it. We had an exchange of who could take it, and he let me have it. After awhile, he was like, if you don't decide, I'm just going to take it. I like that he let me assert the fact that I wanted it to take it, if it's ok with him (which it was). So, in the spirit of karma, I will help Phi promote Community Lab... spread the hype and come support [for FREEEE] at Arrow Bar on Ave A and E. 5th this Saturday.

Also, I must mention tonight's potluck dinner was breakfast-themed and incredible. I brought scrambled eggs and orange juice. Meera brought the champagne to make mimosas. Gary brought the bacon, Deb the tater tots, and Karen the strawberries and whipped cream. It was amazing. Just saying, it might have been our best one ever (though there is a 99% chance we say that at each successive one...)

No comments: