Monday, May 24, 2010

sister good-eats

as i dragged my suitcase across the city from port authority to work at 8 am, i passed by two newspaper vendors of AMNY and Metro. i went to the woman with Metro because thats the one i usually read, but the AMNY distributor said, "hey sister good-eats," since i was munching on a gala apple, and grabbed the Metro from my hand and rolled a copy of AMNY with it and stuffed it in the handle of my suitcase as i continued to roll along.

it got me thinking that even though he might think i'm healthy for eating an apple, he did not see me eat ice cream, cookies, cadbury chocolate this weekend as we celebrated a belated mother's day. it got me thinking about exceptions. this weekend was an exception to my usually healthy lifestyle, but i also overindulged. exceptions chip away at our foundation. if who we are is determined by our actions, how can we be who we are if we constantly make exceptions to our usual codes of living? to identify what is right and wrong, we have to be able to understand and label what is right and wrong to us. we have to be strong in that once we make that commitment, we don't let ourselves down. we have to stand by our own standards despite peer pressure.
---
minutes after i typed that, i ran into one of the vet techs who told me there was coffee downstairs (there goes that self-control)! so of course, needing my fix i went and there were these beautiful cheese danishes topped with almonds. i had a quarter (whew.) and i grabbed some for my coworkers. as i walked back juggling a box, my coffee and the danishes, the guard on duty who should have reprimanded me utilized his bring-it-on-"spirit fingers" to tell me to hurry up and get out of there. it was so nice! and then there was a custodial staff member who saw my struggle and opened two doors for me down the hall. and since there was a fire drill, all the doors were closed so i had my fill of obstacles. then on one of the few remaining sets of double doors, i hear a "can-eye-can-eye-can-eye", when i opened the door i turned around to see why someone was talking gibberish behind me. it turned out, he was asking, "can i get that for you?" and wanted to open the door for me. talk about a nice and fulfilling 10 minutes!

No comments: