Monday, January 17, 2011

smil og nik (smile and nod in Danish)

Sometimes I take things too personally. If a certain stoic professor walks by with a polite smile and no other sign of familiarity, I can't help but think she dislikes me. Although I think Quynh, Dan, and Bijan may agree with me with this particular woman.

At least when strangers walk by and smile at me, I can't help but smile back.

Working with another person on a research proposal has been hard because it is in Uganda. I know what my interests are but I don't know what I am capable of completing in six weeks. If I am with Savita (and I think Meera should consider skipping out on NYC to come with us), I know the experience will be fine regardless of what we do. I like independence when I know what I am doing. But now I don't, I have never done this before. Thank goodness the third year I have been talking to called me today and told me I don't need to know every detail, just an idea that will adapt to the circumstances when I get there.

During On Doc, I finally got picked out of my slump. My preceptor is INSPIRING, just because she is kind and cares about everyone. It is so obvious. She lets me do with what I am most comfortable and allows me to push myself without applying pressure. I don't need to impress her because I know she will support me so that indirectly makes me internally motivated to impress her (does that make sense?). At home, Robert made a delicious meal of herb roasted potatoes and pork stuffed with feta and roasted red peppers WRAPPED IN BACON. hahah, I didn't eat it but it looked and smelled amazing. Then Sergey brought out his brandy-doused fruitcake and Wesley with Bailey's. I offered to make PBJ sandwiches, but no one wanted them hahah, but I did help Robert make the homemade whipped cream to mix with his Danish rice pudding and almonds.

Yoga was absolutely necessary tonight.

No comments: