Friday, September 17, 2010

"Leave it to CTO to make the heart totally boring." -E.J.B.

It's not what you say, but how you say it.

Whether it's sarcasm or an insult... say it with a smile and a teasing voice - it's not so bad. Same with how you receive information.

Whether it's listening to someone talk about the consistency of his poo or admit something dark and personal... as long as you're not judgmental or freaked out, the person telling you the story will mirror you and be more willing to say it out loud. I find that whenever I get into funks, the people I am more willing to talk to are the ones without any pretensions. All the walls are down and we can talk about anything. I can admit anything and know that what I say will be taken in context and not be used to define me... because my moods change all the time and my speech reflects those moods.

My preceptor always seems calm and collected - even when someone reveals an abscess the size of a mouse. Staying calm keeps the speaker to stay calm, and more willing to be honest. I would like to think that I have a nature that puts people to ease.

No comments: