Thursday, September 23, 2010

"She was nothing of the kind."

-The World According to Garp, John Irving
 ---
"I think for you: it's important to stay curious"
-Dr. Nina McCampbell
I love my On Doc preceptor. She takes the time to answer all my questions and she wants me to learn. If I asked her to interview a patient, she will find one suitable for me to interview. She did. I went into the room 3 and interviewed Mr. T, a 54 year old man with a spine injury that had started to affect his legs. It was great to ask him questions by myself and later see Dr. M ask the SAME ones! She also asked more specific ones involving the hip and legs that I haven't learned yet. And then she did the physical examination and tested all the strength and feeling in his legs. It makes learning the Brachial Plexus and the innervation to the arm, forearm and hands so much better - there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and our future patients deserve physicians who know what they are doing.

(man, I sent a grammatically incorrect e-mail to my entire class and had to edit this entry a million times. I'm so sleep deprived...)
---
"In fact, she dropped out of college when she suspected that the chief purpose of her parents' sending her to Wellesley had been to have her dated by and eventually mated to some well-bred man."

No comments: