Sunday, December 26, 2010

getting ready for my winter hibernation.

christmas eve was lovely. i had gone for a run, the first in a long time, and then my parents and i went to atlantic city. i met up with my grandma, aunt mary and uncle wah at a chinese place. aunt julie and jess had already eaten so they placed our reservation and ordered the food so it would be ready when we got there. there was crab fried rice, lobster, eggplant, collard greens, steamed fish, and fruit for dessert. i went up to our room in caesar's and went straight to bed. my mom went to walk around and gamble and came in later. i woke up after 7 hours and ordered breakfast! two eggs over easy with toast and potatoes. my dad and mom got the western omelet with toast and potatoes. then we bummed around as my dad watched chinese tv and i read. around lunchtime, we went to the vietnamese place off north carolina ave with aunt mary, uncle wah, jess, aunt julie, and grandma. i got bun with shrimp on sugar cane (so perfect with fish sauce) with vietnamese coffee (so syrupy and sweet! i didn't like it). then my parents and i went home to go to aunt samantha's house for her dinner. it was a nonstop foodfest with mashed sweet potatoes, sushi, pistachio cake, fruit and yogurt tarts, lobster curry, dumplings, (and other stuff i couldn't eat) all while i sipped on red wine. while digesting, savita called and we chatted about a possible nyc meet up tuesday :)

on our way home, my dad was imparting his wisdom. he was telling me about life in the real world and how i can be super educated but still not know anything. it was interesting to listen to him talk about different types of people out there. i feel like i've met many of them though, but i let him go on. one highlight: when you ask questions or ask for help, you will either get a response or you won't. out of the people who won't respond, they either don't know or know and don't want to help you because of competition or jealousy. my dad told me not to be in the latter group if i can help it. it just causes unnecessary stress to an unfulfilling life. so wiseeee, i wish he had a beard to look the part.

No comments: