Saturday, November 6, 2010

"'My mother', Garp wrote, 'was not romantically inclined.'"

-The World According to Garp, John Irving

I tried to sleep in, but I woke up in the middle of the night for micturition. I couldn't sleep well after that, but I just made myself a delicious breakfast with toast, eggs, spinach, and gouda. On one slice of toast, I also put peanut butter and grape jelly - as a yummy dessert. I'm looking at this novel in desperate want of reading it... or www.abc.com to catch up on the past three Grey's Anatomy episodes. Maybe I can do it as a break later, but for now I must learn about cancer, the pelvis and perineum, and a whole bunch of cells that all look the same to me. We just have to keep going - we can do this. Let us make ourselves bigger than what we thought we could be.

"If there is dissatisfaction with the status quo, good. If there is ferment, so much the better. If there is restlessness, I am pleased. Then let there be ideas, and hard thought, and hard work. If man feels small, let man make himself bigger. "
-Hubert Humphrey

Just two more weeks until Thanksgiving break! I look forward to hanging out with Savita, Meera, Jess, Phi, Ken S., Emily, my cousin Kenny, Jena, Kathryn, Amy, Christine, Rich, and of course my entire family - minus one. I still miss you when I think of you, PB.
---
"When the soldier in the movie theater first started changing seats--when he made his first move for her--Jenny Fields felt that the Valentine treatment would be just the thing for him. But she didn't have an irrigator with her; it was much too large for her purse. It also required the considerable cooperation of the patient. What she did have with her was a scalpel; she carried it with her all the time. She had not stolen it from surgery either; it was a castaway scalpel with a deep nick taken out of the point (it had probably been dropped on the floor, or in a sink)--it was no good for fine work, but it was not for fine work that Jenny wanted it."

No comments: