Tuesday, October 5, 2010

"The billboard towered above the railroad yard and was reflected in countless miniatures in the windows of the shoe plant."

-The World According to Garp, John Irving
I met my Physicians for Human Rights mentor today at DHMC. He has started an international chain of clinical trials as well as co-founded a pediatrics AIDS clinic in Tanzania. No big deal - another day at the job. It is so inspiring to be surrounded by such accomplished people. I bonded with Brittany on our way back and talked about global health opportunities for the summer. I finally caught up with my friend, and we were reminded about the delicacies of life. Staying in our rooms studying for tests seem so meaningless compared to going out in the world to love, learn from, and connect with people. However, to become a physician and to actually make a difference in lives require the mundane study habits from us. It is hard not to feel like a small mosquito in a large pond. The issues at hand are so vast, especially with life and death issues approaching us as we age, and we find more reasons to worry about loved ones.

"Babe, you've been on my mind.
Even though my mind is hazy and my thoughts,
they might be narrow,
Where you been?
Don't bother me or bring me down in sorrow
It don't even matter to me where you're waking up tomorrow.
Babe, you've been on my mind.
When you wake up in the morning, baby,
Look inside your mirror,
You know I won't be next to you.
You know I won't be near.
I'll just be curious to know if you can see yourself
as clear as someone who has had you on his mind."
-Bob Dylan

---
"Beneath this menacing, advancing foot were the words:
FIELDS for your foot in the factory or in the fields!"

No comments: