Saturday, October 2, 2010

"They lived in a large, shingled house on the New Hampshire shore at Dog's Head Harbor."

-The World According to Garp, John Irving

Today was a beautiful day. It marked the beginning of so many things that already started, but more officially. The Dartmouth Medical School Class of 2014 received official DMS embroidered white coats today. We read our mission statement (it's on my refrigerator...) and walked up to slip into our coats and to shake the hands of our professors and mentors, signed the mission statement on a table with a cute pumpkin, and shook the hand of Dr. C. Everett Coop, the former Surgeon General who is now at DMS. We took a group picture and proceeded to Goldstein Hall for finger foods and photos. Kenny played nice and took pictures while I scaled back the amount of photos I would have taken (we're all about compromise here). It was sad not to be with Dave, Vi, and Sean on this day, but I am so thankful for Kenny and Wesley who did come to support. To know that people support me and wanted to be present is a good feeling. To know that someone will be there for me, last minute just so I would not be alone, is an even better feeling.






I took a three hour nap today... I think it is silly to study so hard to heal others and not be able to keep myself healthy.
---
"Jenny went home for her days and nights off--mainly to please her mother, and to convince the grande dame that although jenny was 'slumming her life away as a nurse,' as her mother remarked, she was not developing slovenly habits in her speech or in her moral person."

No comments: