Sunday, October 24, 2010

"Jenny asked for a book about clams."

-The World According to Garp, John Irving

It's funny how things can work out. What seemingly seems obtainable can fall short and lie just beyond the tips of our fingers. I have gotten comfortable in my situation, which is pretty bad considering there are factors beyond the realm of DMS that dictate a lot more than I can control.

For now, all I feel I can do is quote:
"Love life, and life will love you back."
-Arthur Rubinstein

I had a plan today: to study, to work out, and to eat. I woke up at 8 and studied a bit but not long after, I fell asleep for two hours reading physiology notes. Waking up at 1 pm, I just decided the time spent napping replaced the time that I would have spent sweating it out. I made rice, broccoli and a vegetable burger patty from Boca's with sun-dried tomato Gouda cheese. Then studying some more, I got through a lot of what I wanted. I am so tired... I'd like to say it is a visceral pain radiating throughout my head and body. It is dull and unlocalized. It is hard to explain, except I'd much rather go to sleep than learn about signaling pathways and the anatomical structure of the kidney. I even did my laundry as a form of procrastination.

The weather gets me down when it rains. I feel pressure weighing heavily on my body, and it feels like a burden. Maybe it's the barometric pressure. Maybe it's the impending quizzes tomorrow. Maybe it's all in my head. I suppose you can't fully appreciate the sun without days like these.

---
"She read all about them: how they ate, how they bred, how they grew. It was the first live thing she understood completely--its life, its sex, its death. At Dog's Head Harbor, human beings were not that accessible. In the hospital, Jenny Fields felt she was making up for last time; she was discovering that people weren't much more mysterious, or much more attractive, than clams."

No comments: